Bienvenue: French at Harper
Welcome to the French Program at Harper College! Using a communicative approach, instructors create an environment where students are encouraged to grow both as individuals and as members of a rapidly expanding global community. Students will attain language proficiency in French as they acquire historical awareness and cultural appreciation of French-speaking areas.
French courses range from beginning to advanced and conversational levels. Students of French not only develop useful skills, which enable them to communicate clearly and think creatively, but they also gain the most significant benefit of multilingualism…a new way to see the world. Learning is enhanced through multimedia technology, free tutoring, cultural outings in the Chicago area, a French Table, and study abroad opportunities.
Coursework may be used to satisfy electives and program requirements, to cultivate personal interests, or to begin the path toward a minor or major in French. Students often complete their first two years of study at Harper College and then transfer their credits to a four-year institution.
Harper’s French Program offers:
- Day and evening language courses
- Free individual and group tutoring
- A testing center that administers exams to fit an individual’s work/life demands
- Library with French books, magazines, and movies
- Study abroad opportunities
- Links to Harper’s wide array of student services and activities
French is an essential part of a well-rounded education for its undeniable academic benefits and the global opportunities it offers. Learning French will enhance your critical thinking, creative thinking and problem solving skills and improve your memory and self-discipline. Knowing French will allow you to compete effectively in the global economy of the future.
Global Communication. First and foremost, learning French is the pleasure of learning a beautiful, rich, melodious language, often called the language of love.
- the first or second language in 55 countries and is spoken by over 200 million people across five continents. French is used regularly for business, government and daily life in countries such as Canada, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxemburg, Monaco, and in many African countries including Gabon, Senegal, Benin, Mali, Ivory Coast, Republic of the Congo and Togo to name a few.
- the world language of cuisine, fashion, architecture, theatre, cinema, music, art and science.
- the language of many great literary masterpieces. France has more Nobel Prizes for literature than any other country and is admired for its great philosophers, such as Descartes and Pascal, Rousseau, Voltaire, Camus, and Sartre.
- the second most frequently taught foreign language worldwide after English.
- the third most frequently used language of the Internet.
- along with English, the official working language of the United Nations, the European Union, the International Olympic Committee, the International Red Cross, Interpol, UNESCO, NATO and many other international organizations.
Boundless Career Opportunities-Help wanted! French will make you more competitive in the national and international job market in such disciplines as business, medicine, international law, government, diplomatic service, aviation, pharmaceuticals, computer technology, telecommunications, optics, information technology, engineering, transportation technologies, tourism and hospitality, teaching, translation and interpretation.
- American companies well established in France include: IBM, Microsoft, Whirlpool, Mattel, Dow Chemical, AT&T, Coca-Cola, Johnson & Johnson, Apple Computer, Walt Disney, Hewlett –Packard, and Ford.
- Among the US manufacturers and employers that are French-owned are: Mack Trucks, Zenith, RCA-Thomson, BIC, L’Oréal, Dannon, and Michelin.
Cutting-edge research and innovation. France continues to be a leader and innovator in science and technology. French inventions include: the smart card, fiber optics, HDTV, and the TGV-train which travels at 200 mph and is the fastest way to visit Europe.
- a major world research center in the field of physics.
- the world’s third leading manufacturer of electronics equipment and the European leader in aerospace technology and aeronautics: “Airbus & Ariane Rocket”.
- the world leader in medical research (the HIV virus was first isolated by French doctors).
Travel abroad. France is the most visited tourist destination in the world. The number of people visiting France is greater than its population. When you speak French you can be an educated world traveler. French is a passport to communicate globally. Using French enhances your travel abroad to Canada, the Caribbean, Europe and Africa.
Communicating with people from different nations and backgrounds promotes international understanding and fosters a greater appreciation of cultural diversity.
French opens the doors to many career, personal and travel opportunities. Find out more by contacting Madame Jareckyj at (847) 925-6776 or email@example.com.
For more information about the courses currently being offered, please review the class schedules: